Monday, May 27, 2019

Why the Ascension of Jesus is of primal importance to us.

Every year, toward the end of the season of Eastertide, I get both excited and even a bit on edge as the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord approaches.  It is something that so many Catholics either fail to see its great significance of, or something that few deem necessary to comprehend with depth and seriousness.  I remember going to Mass on this Solemnity in my very young and impressionable days, but for the life of me, I cannot bring myself to recall anything theologically or spiritually significant about this feast that was the result of a clear and applicable preaching.  Perhaps most of the reflections only centered on the physicality of the ascension, but little was spoken about the reason for it.

The Ascension of Jesus cannot be understood and discussed outside of what is known as the Paschal Mystery. This term embodies and includes the passion, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ.  If the Paschal mystery stops only at the resurrection, then the saving dimension of Jesus’ life simply isn’t complete because it lacks its important universal and eternal dimension.  


The Ascension of Jesus has its scriptural basis in the gospels where we are specifically told that Jesus physically ascended to beyond where the physical eye could not see him any longer. Before that happened, the post-resurrection accounts of Jesus had the disciples physically seeing him, touching him and sharing food with him.  He was still bound and limited to the confines of time and space, though substantially, there was something different about him where he could walk through locked doors and walls.  But he was not at different places at the same time.  There were still limits to his being.  

In order for the effects of Jesus’ salvation to encompass the entire universe, and to effect all time that includes the past, present and the future, the removal of himself out of the confines of this existence as we know it had to take place.  Having risen from the dead, death was no longer going to be the way he leaves this world.  His ascension was therefore his necessary exit path through which he would transcend the space and time limitations that are imposed on every material substance that is created.  

Moreover, Jesus himself made it clear to Mary Magdalene when he appeared to her post resurrection, to not hold on to him as he had to ascend to his Father.  His mission was not yet complete, as his saving effect had still that one important part that was yet to happen.  In John’s farewell discourse, he gives a hint as to why he had to go. It was so that the Advocate could come. With Jesus still physically around, there was not going to be much reliance nor dependence on the Holy Spirit. His departure was going to be the reason that we believe in the Holy Spirit, and why we need to trust in the Spirit’s presence and power in the world.  

I remember how I learnt to ride the bicycle when I was young.  I had a bicycle that had training wheels attached to it on either side of the back wheel.  My reliance on them was there as long as they were attached, and I was rather gung ho in handling my bike knowing that if I shifted my balance on either side of the bike, I would not fall.  

But as the days went on, the angle of the training wheels was adjusted such that the wheels went progressively higher and higher, forcing me to find and maintain my balance without those additional wheels.  It was only when they were finally taken away that I found my balance and rode with the bike with confidence.  They had to be taken away.

I seem to have moved from the sublime to the ridiculous with this analogy, but I hope it served its purpose. Jesus’ ascension was necessary so that our true confidence in him could begin.  If Jesus had not ascended, our physical dependence on him was not going to give us the ability to mature and develop as it should, and more importantly, I am certain that we would not make any efforts in being missionary and evangelical.

No comments:

Post a Comment